The site had originally been designated as a playing field in 1936 when the Parish Council wrote to Chorley District Council (CDC) with proposals to establish a permanent memorial to King George V. The outbreak of WWII and a lack of funds lead to a long delay and the site was finally purchased by CDC in 1947 from landowner, Mr Seddon, for the sum of £250 with funds allocated from the sale of the local gas works.
Initially the Parish Council paid CDC £1 per year to rent the site before finally gaining ownership in 1972. The 'Rec' has undergone many transformations.
The most recent re-development began in 2011 when a group of residents offered to assist the Parish Council by forming 'The Friends of Croston Recreation Ground' with the aim of creating a space for the whole community to enjoy. With funding difficult to obtain phase one was not completed until 2017 when the existing play equipment was replaced.
Phase two was completed in 2019 with the support of a sub-committee of Croston Together and the park was officially re-opened in June 2019.