Croston Parish Council
Parish Council Amenities
The Recreation Park
The site had originally been designated as a playing field in 1936 when the Parish Council wrote to Chorley District Council (CDC) with proposals to establish a permanent memorial to King George V. The outbreak of WWII and a lack of funds lead to a long delay and the site was finally purchased by CDC in 1947 from land owner Mr Seddon for the sum of £250 with funds allocated from the sale of the local gas works. Initially the Parish Council paid CDC £1 per year to rent the site before finally gaining ownership in 1972. The 'rec' has undergone many transformations. The most recent re-development began in 2011 when a group of residents offered to assist the Parish Council by forming 'The Friends of Croston Recreation Ground' with the aim of creating a space for the whole community to enjoy. With funding difficult to obtain phase 1 was not completed until 2017 when the existing play equipment was replaced. Phase 2 was completed in 2019 with the support of a sub-committee of Croston Together and the park was officially re-opened in June 2019.
The Village Green
At a meeting held on 16 July 1979, the Parish Council agreed to purchase a plot of land on the corner of Town Road and Out Lane which had been left derelict for many years. A sub-committee and fund-raising group were set-up to oversee the purchase and raise the necessary funds required to pay off a loan of £4,700 borrowed from LCC. Chorley Council gave a grant of £3,000 towards the project and the land was finally purchased in December 1979. In 1984 it was agreed that the future of the green should be safe-guarded and it should be held in trust. A charity was registered on 19 January 1987 naming the Parish Council as trustee. The Village Green is held in trust for the village "TO THE INTENT THAT THE SAME SHALL REMAIN OPEN AND UNBUILT UPON FOR USE BY THE SAID COMMUNITY AS A VILLAGE GREEN AND FOR GENERAL RECREATION PURPOSES".
Anyone wishing to use the green for a village event should contact the Clerk.
The War Memorial
The War Memorial was unveiled on Saturday 30 October 1920 by Capt. Douglas H. Hacking who was the MP for Chorley. Constructed in granite, the Memorial is a Grade II listed structure containing the names of all those who lost their lives in both World Wars.
On 8 May 2020 a plaque in memory of the US pilot Second Lieutenant Kenneth V Burnett, whose Lockheed P38 Lightning plane came down close to Isle of Man Farm on Meadow Lane Croston was placed on the memorial
The Village Car Park - Out Lane
Owned by Lancashire County Council and leased to the Parish Council in 2017, the car park is maintained by the Council with assistance from the volunteers of Croston in Bloom who have created a community orchard and herb garden on the wide grass verge.
It was re-surfaced in 2019 and enlarged to provide much needed additional parking spaces